History Of District 102
The Toastmasters Journey
Toastmasters began as a series of speaking clubs organized by Ralph C. Smedley during his time working for the YMCA (Young Men’s Christian Association) in Bloomington, Illinois, United States. As director of education at the YMCA, Smedley saw a need for the men in the community to learn how to speak, conduct meetings, plan programs and work on committees, and he wanted to help them.
The District 102 Journey
- Chartering of The First Toastmasters club, TMIKL 1978 Toastmasters in July 1978
- Formation of Territorial Council comprising Malaysia, Singapore, Thailand and Indonesia following the meeting between the late Gerald Green, DTM and Executive Director of Toastmasters International, Terrence J. McCann in California
- The First Pan-SEA Territorial Council Chairman – Gerald Green, DTM was elected.
- The Council comprised Division 1 (all clubs in Indonesia); Division N (all clubs in Northern Malaysia; Division S (all clubs in Singapore); Division E (all clubs in East Malaysia); Division C (all clubs in Central Malaysia) and Division T (all clubs in Thailand)
- Toastmasters International granted Pan-SEA Territorial Council with the Provisional District status, District 51P.
- The District achieved full District status & the letter P was dropped. District 51 became the largest District in the world. During that year, District 51 became the second-best performing District in the world.
- Hong Kong joined District 51.
- Brunei and Macau joined District 51.
- District 51 was the top performing District in the world and went on to become the best performing District in the world for 5 consecutive terms until 2002.
Owing to the rapid growth of clubs and membership, District 51 was reformed:
• District 51: Malaysia, Indonesia and Brunei.
• District 80: Singapore, Thailand, Hong Kong and Macau.
District 51 was again reformed into 2 Districts. The Districts were:
• District 51: Peninsular Malaysia.
• District 87: Sabah, Sarawak, Labuan, Indonesia and Brunei. 2014 District 51 hosted the 83rd Annual Toastmasters International Convention in Kuala Lumpur, the first convention hosted outside of North America,
District 51 reformed into District 51 and District 102 as follows:
• District 51 : Kuala Lumpur, Putrajaya, Perak, Kedah, Perlis and Penang.
• District 102: Selangor, Negeri Sembilan, Melaka, Johor, Pahang, Terengganu and Kelantan.
• Take note the original District 51 has since given birth to the following Districts:
• District 51: Central and North Peninsular Malaysia.
• District 80: Singapore.
• District 87: East Malaysia, Indonesia and Brunei.
• District 89: Hong Kong, Macau (together with southern China).
• District 97P: Thailand (together with Vietnam, Myanmar, Cambodia and Laos).
• District 102: Central and South Peninsular Malaysia, East Coast