Lai Kok Fook
Candidate for Division E Director District 102
Toastmasters member since: 2019
Toastmasters offices held and terms of service:
• President for Toihaan Toastmaster Club 2020 – 2021
• Secretary for Toihaan Toastmaster Club 2021 -2022
• Secretary for Heritage Toastmaster Club 2021 -2022
• Division E Secretary in District 102 2021-2022
Toastmasters honors and recognition:
• Club Mentor for HSBC Malaysia Toastmaster Club (7915879) 2022
• Achieved President Distingushed Club for the 2020 -2021
• Triple Crown achieved
• Completed 2 Pathway program.
Relevant work experience and how it relates to Toastmasters and your role as a District leader:
1) I am currently the head coach for my gym.
2) Being the leader, I am in charge of persuading my gym members to participate in Mr Borneo bodybuilding contest in December 2021 and with my guidance one of the members won 5th place.
3) Having experience as a computer technician, I am actively helping a lot of clubs within and outside Division E in terms of technicality.
What experience do you have in strategic planning?
1) As I am self employed, I have allocated some of my time in mentoring 3 members and guiding them on the path of Triple Crown.
2) I have also been chief judge for several times, each time bringing in new members and teaching them on how the process goes.
3) With my experience, I have been giving guidance to members from various clubs such as providing them with tips especially for role players in contests.
What experience do you have in the area of finance?
1) I am in charge of collecting and paying the fees to the owner of the gym.
2) During the Mr. Borneo bodybuilding contest, I am responsible for managing the given budget.
What experience do you have in developing procedures?
1. Being a chief judge for several times, I had developed a new way of explaining the step-by-step guidance to the first time role takers.
2. I emphasise on a one-to-one approach to guide excos and members who need extra help.
3. One of the important aspects that I apply, meetings date and time will be informed earlier to avoid last minute cancellation and giving time for others to plan.
What lessons did you learn from previous leadership positions?
1. Excos need to be monitored periodically to be updated with their progress and provide help if necessary.
2. Compassion, understanding and flexibility are the main key for a whole team
3. Psychological support and presence are important to make sure the Excos and members don not feel burden
In your opinion, what are the District mission’s major objectives and how would you work to achieve them?
I believe the District mission is to provide a safe and positive learning environment to all the members, I believe in my abilities in communication and working together with other division leaders are able to create this.