Woo Hui Qin
Candidate for Club Growth Director District 102
Toastmasters member since: 2012
B.Sc (Hons) in Computer Science
Dip. In Education
Certificate in English Language Teaching – Secondary(CELTS), TKT Module 1(Band 4)
Toastmasters offices held and terms of service:
• Treasurer Chung Hwa Alumni Association Mandarin Toastmasters Club 2015-2016
• VPPR Chung Hwa Alumni Association Mandarin Toastmasters Club 2016-2017
• VPM Chung Hwa Alumni Association Mandarin Toastmasters Club 2017-2018
• VPE Chung Hwa Alumni Association Mandarin Toastmasters Club 2018-2019
• President Chung Hwa Alumni Association Mandarin Toastmasters Club 2019-2020
• M3 Area Director 2020-2021
• Division M Director 2021-2022
Toastmasters honors and recognition:
• Distinguished Toastmater (DTM)
• Effective Coaching Level 5
• President of President’s Distinguished Club (Chung Hwa Alumni Association Mandarin Toastmasters) 2019-2020
• District 102 Distinguished Area (M3) 2020-2021
• District 118 (China) Champion Workshop Speaker 2021
• District 102 1st Place Winner of Mandarin International Speech Contests 2018-2019
• District 102 1st Place Winner of Mandarin Humourous Speech Contests 2017-2018
• District 51 1st Place Winner of Mandarin Table Topics Contests 2015-2016
Relevant work experience and how it relates to Toastmasters and your role as a District leader:
Financial planner (2011-2020),Teacher (2003-present), Head of Department (2016-present), Teacher Trainer (2017-2020)
I manage a department and see the importance of effective communication and leadership. With the experience in sales as a financial planner and teaching as a teacher, I can easily work with different people to achieve the best outcome for the organization.
What experience do you have in strategic planning?
Strategically, I planned the implementation of a brand new syllabus at school in 2018 till now progressively. During the MCO, teachers in my department worked well with my assistance in the transition of physical lessons to Online learning. The experience also helped me in conducting interactive and engaging Online Toastmasters meetings.
What experience do you have in the area of finance?
I had been a financial planner on a part-time basis for 9 years (2011-2020), therefore I am familiar with insurance and investment related field.
What experience do you have in developing procedures?
As a teacher, the implementation of a new syllabus in school was planned progressively in different procedures. I can understand and give specific instructions on procedures/steps in carrying out plans. From planning, organization to implementation.
As a Division Director, Division M has been more engaging with the members with the slogan “Bridging the Gaps”. There were various plans and events being held to promote the bonding of members within the Division. With the successful experience, I would like to take the opportunity to bridge the gaps of all members in District 102 if I were elected as CGD.
What lessons did you learn from previous leadership positions?
My most valuable lessons I learned is there is no “one size fits all” leadership and practice. It’s about human and different leadership styles suit different people. Leadership is a progress and skill of finding out what works best for the group instead of “what or who is the best”.
Being open-minded and result-oriented, my division council members are encouraged to voice out their ideas and plans. We work well together with the same objectives.
In your opinion, what are the District mission’s major objectives and how would you work to achieve them?
The major objectives are sharing the core values of Toastmasters International and let more members and public be benefited from it. To make our life and working environment a better place and to be a better person i life.